The Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHIMS) is the national standard of hazard communication system for Canada. It applies to suppliers, importers, distributors of potentially hazardous materials, and employers and workers who use those materials.
WHMIS was implemented in 1988 through coordinated federal, provincial, and territorial legislation.
The Canadian government developed the WHMIS to ensure workers receive adequate information about hazardous chemicals used at their workplaces.
Provincial and territorial jurisdictions develop and administer legislation that defines employer and worker responsibilities under WHMIS.
Regulatory Changes and Requirements
In February of 2015, the Canadian federal government announced a three year transition program that revises WHMIS to align with the United Nations Globally Harmonized Standard (GHS)
This change to WHMIS will require chemical suppliers, importers, and distributors to align their labelling and Safety Data Sheet (SDS) information with the GHS classification method. It will also require employers who use those materials to train workers on the GHS system.
Complying with these regulations creates some serious concerns for companies; either invest the time and resources to research, develop, and deliver a WHMIS training program internally, or to hire a consultant to provide it for you.
There is however, another option that allows you to provide the training quickly and easily.
A Convenient Solution
We here at Safety Services we have developed a “Do-It-Yourself” WHMIS training program that is both simple to administer and fulfills all your WHMIS requirements. This innovative kit features an Interactive Training Program, Student’s Handbook, Instructors Handbook, Student Tests, Training Logs, Certificates, Wallet Cards and More.
Our WHMIS training kit is a simple three-step solution that protects your employees and keeps your company in compliance.
1. Classroom/online training – The first step of our training program gives you two training options
• A computer based training program that allows employees to navigate an electronic training program at their own pace, and then take an on-line test.
• Instructor presentations and printable student materials that your trainer can use to deliver group classroom training, or when computer isn’t feasible.
2. Field training – The second step of training is in the field. During this part of the training, your appointed trainer will go through workplace labels and data sheets with students to reinforce their understanding of the classifications and locations of information in the workplace.
3. Evaluation – The third step to the training session is evaluation. Through this step, the trainer either evaluates the trainees understanding of the information and procedures, and then signs off on certification, or retouches on topics that need more work.
WHMIS Training Kit Contents
Our kit will allow your designated trainer to deliver the necessary training by giving them guidelines for presenting the material. The information in this program covers the following topics:
• General information on GHS
• Understanding GHS labelling
• How to read Safety Data Sheets
• And much more
The material provided in our WHMIS training program meets Federal all requirements, and allows your trainer to deliver the required training quickly, easily, and consistently.
If you have any questions, or are ready to order your WHMIS training program, give us a call at 1-888-461-5023.